Thursday, March 25, 2010

Where Did I Put That...?

A wise man once said, “You will always find what you are looking for in the last place you look.” Of course looking in the right place makes that process much shorter. When Brenda is looking for something that I have put away she will often say something like, “I just have to think like you think so I know where to look.”  Otherwise she will be looking in the “wrong” places. (or at least different places than I thought of)

I was thinking of that when I read Luke 24:5-6.  "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!”

Of course, in defense of the women, the grave is exactly where they left Jesus just days before, so their behavior is perfectly understandable. But they hadn’t considered the possibility of Jesus leaving on His own.  Looking back we may think they should have since He told them,“The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.” (v.7) But still, after experiencing the trial and crucifixion, I can understand how the thought of rising again might seem a bit far fetched.
But the truth of Easter is exactly what the angel said, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen!” JESUS IS ALIVE!

And that makes all the difference in the world to you and me every day.  We don't pray to a Jesus who is dead, He is alive and He hears our prayers and answers them.  We don't follow an "ideal" or "philosophy" that Jesus left behind.  We follow a living Savior who walks with us and guides us through this journey of life.
I suppose that is what I like about the old hymn "He Lives!" It is the hope and strength of every believer.

"I serve a living Savior, He's in the world today. I know that He is living whatever men may say. I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer. And just the time I need Him, He's always near.  

In all the world around me I see His loving care. And though my heart grows weary I never will despair. I know that He is leading through all the stormy blasts. The day of His appearing will come at last.

He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives! He lives! Salvation to impart. You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart."

I for one am VERY glad!

No comments: