Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Still Crazy After All These Years!

Someone should write a song about that!  I recently was thinking about my online presence and thought that I had no idea how long it's been since I had posted on my blog.  Turns out it's been nearly four years!  WOW.

I never was very consistent with this probably because I was concerned that no one would be particularly interested in what I have been thinking about.  And now putting opinions and thoughts on the internet is getting more and more dicey what with everyone being offended when someone disagrees with them rather than thinking through their own position and engaging in constructive dialogue.  I think that many of us, and I know that I still struggle with this, are getting lazy about our world views; happy to accept what has been passed on to us from previous generations or to take for myself what the latest voice of society has to offer.

Examining what we believe and why we believe it is work.  If I choose to believe that I am already right and no longer in need of examination then I can just solidly plant my feet prepare to knock down anyone who disagrees.  But is that the best way to proceed?

Don't misunderstand me, I have a great deal of certainty about many of the tenets of my world view.  It wouldn't be my world view if I didn't believe it to be true.  Some I have reexamined recently and confirmed in my mind that I'm good with that.  Things like "Jesus is the Son of God and the only way to Heaven."  Yeah, I've thought that one through.  I've read on the subject from multiple vantage points.  I've listened and considered opposing claims. I still believe that is true and is a foundation of my beliefs.

There are other beliefs I hold that are being challenged in our society today.  Things like same-sex attractions, gender identity, how do I treat outsiders/ outcasts, when does life begin are all under consideration and many are arguing against the traditional "Christian" stance.  These and others are more than political positions and if you only argue them from that vantage point you are, honestly, missing the point!  What I'm trying to say is that it may be time for believers to reexamine what we believe and why we believe it.  Not because I'm advocating change, but because it's important to stand on more than just, "that's what I've always believed."  Isn't that the same attitude that the Pharisees took toward Jesus?  His narrative was different from what they had believed for hundreds of years.

If anything Jesus shows us that if a narrative is false we SHOULD change our minds about it.  We SHOULD examine and question and seek.  Consider all the other voices speaking from all the other perspectives. Just be sure to examine His Word.  Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance.  Seek Jesus to know what He says, what He did and always go with Him.  When you get His answer, stand firm on it.

I'm not saying Jesus changes His mind about issues, but is there the least little possibility that you could be wrong about what you believe He says?  Or could you possibly be wrong about how you present His truth?  Unless you've turned perfect on me while I wasn't looking it's not a bad idea to step back and look into it again.

If after searching you find that indeed you're right, then praise the Lord and stand firm.  But until you ask the hard questions about the divisive issues of our day and come up with clear answers from Jesus, all you're doing is adding to the bluster and bloviation.  "This is the way we've always thought!"

Take your beliefs seriously.  Examine them closely.  Jesus doesn't mind you asking questions, He encourages it.  If you're wrong, change.  If you're right with Him, stand firm with Him.  Just ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Either that or I am indeed still crazy after all these years.

No comments: